MSG: The Bad, The Worse and the Ugly…and an Antidote?


Monosodium Glutamate, or as it’s more commonly known, MSG isn’t just a food additive, it can be found as naturally occurring in foods such as, apples, grapefruit, eggs, dairy products, soybeans, potatoes, seaweed, tomatoes, fish, oranges, meat and poultry.

Yes, just about everything.

Most proteins, such as meat and other types of natural food products, are rich in glutamic acid in the form of protein. This is slowly broken down with digestion and delivers the amount in slower and smaller quantities than if you were eating food highly seasoned with MSG.

MSG in it’s free form, glutamic acid, absorbs more quickly but in higher doses, the body just can’t keep up and the liver gets overloaded.

The top symptoms associated with MSG poisoning are: migraines, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, stomach pain and heart palpitations.  Other symptoms include blurred vision, depression, anxiety, asthma, chest pains, diarrhea, bloating, hives and joint pain.

Many people, like me, suffered from many of these symptoms for years without realizing that it’s MSG poisoning. I suffered from migraines, joint pain and bloating for decades before I discovered the true reason why.

If you’re injesting MSG every day without knowing it, you’ve probably been chalking up that migraine or that nausea to something else. Many people experience more than one of these symptoms after MSG poisoning. For me, the mild side of my symptoms have been migraine headaches. The worst was shortness of breath and heart palpitations.

So what do you do when you’ve been MSG poisoned? There really is no true antidote for the symptoms. If it’s a migraine, you can treat it as a migraine headache, of course, but there’s no magic cure for MSG poisoning.

I’ve read that Benadryl is one way to treat the effects, but I would recommend that if one of your symptoms is hives. Otherwise, popping Benadryl won’t do much in the way of stopping nausea, migraine or heart palpitations.

Reaction and duration of MSG poisoning varies from person to person, and the effects can occur immediately and last up to 48 hours after exposure.

There are homeopathic remedies that are supposed to stop the effects of MSG poisoning. Cream of Tartar, mixed with water, is said to immediately eliminate the effects of MSG poisoning. Another remedy is to flush your body with lots of water after injesting food with MSG in it. However, you should keep in mind that if you don’t know that what you’ve just eaten contained MSG immediately, this method may not be very effective in completely stopping the symptoms, but it may lessen them to some degree.

The BEST protection against MSG poisoning is to read your labels!!

In my next post, I’ll discuss foods you never dreamed contained MSG.

Advertisements